[mythtv-users] Culling my MythTV channels

Fred Hamilton fred at yonkitime.com
Tue Mar 23 00:55:01 UTC 2021

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 1:27 PM Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> If you change mode to channels then you can specify what channels you want
> to fetch. But instead of manually maintaining a list - let the computer do
> it for you ;-)

Thanks - I ran across your post and script earlier in my research and will
consider using them.  They seem like the most elegant and efficient way to
deal with channel management.  Appreciate the additional examples as well!

But right now I'm just struggling with the big picture, like I'm not even
sure if mythfilldatabase is even needed with xmltv/json.  I guess it is
since 'mythfilldatabase --only-update-channels' is the only way I know to
get updates, but then it re-adds any channels I've deleted or hidden.

I've been using myth for 12 years now and been able to keep everything
working and updated (though I've always struggled a little with the various
ways to control lineup - SD website, mythtv-setup, mythweb).  But I still
lack a basic understanding of how this xmltv grabbing is supposed to work
with SD, JSON grabbers, mythfilldatabase, mythbackend, and all the various
config files.