[mythtv-users] Culling my MythTV channels

Fred Hamilton fred at yonkitime.com
Tue Mar 23 00:36:53 UTC 2021

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 10:54 AM R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> On 2021-03-21 6:35 p.m., Fred Hamilton wrote:
> > Here's what I think I know:
> > - Schedules Direct now only supports the XMLTV format
>
> NO. SD still supports the DataDirect format, with channel selection
> through the web-site, and downloading data using the mythfilldatabase
> program.

I thought I'd read that SD was deprecating DataDirect.  I'd be happy to go
back to that if it's not in danger of disappearing.  On the other hand, I
wouldn't mind all the benefits you mention here:

> However the tv_grab_zz_sdjson and tv_grab_zz_sdjson-sqlite programs
> provide data from a different base, with more/better data, and reduced
> server load at the SD end, and reduced computer load/bandwidth at the
> user's end. Program data is separated fropm scheduling and downloaded
> once. Schedules for channels are not re-downloaded if unchanged.
>
> > - The only(?) way to download Schedules Direct data to mythtv v31 is by
> > using "Schedules Direct JSON API (xmltv)" (or similar depending on your
> > locale)
>
> I just did some checking. It appears that the entry in mythtv-setup ->
> General -> (scroll to the bottom ) Program Download Options (or
> somesuch) -> and setting mythfilldatabase OR /usr/local/bin/my-grabber
> actually does not control the download.
>

> *THAT* is set in mythtv-setup -> 4. Video Sources ->
> Your-named-source-here -> Select grabber option from the LONG list. In
> this case SD JSON API

I think I have the correct grabber.  That may be the one thing I'm doing
right.

My OTA.xmltv file covers the US channels I get through one of my antenna:
> mode=channels
> channels!CAN-0005580-X
> channels!CAN-OTA-L5H3J2
> # NOTE the '!' negating the lineup

And I thought my mind couldn't be further blown...I just have the one
lineup - you have so much going on you have to negate lineups?!?

'He who dares, wins'.  If you are not getting what you think you should
> be getting, then give it a try.

I'm usually great with that, but my incomprehension of how this all works
is so great I'm not at the point of messing with anything that seems like
it's working.  :-)

> Here are my known unknowns:
> > - In this XMLTV-only world, what exactly does the Schedules Direct
> > lineup edit page (https://www.schedulesdirect.org/lineups/edit/xxxxxxxx)
>
> > do?
> > - What does "enabling" or "disabling" a channel do?
>
> Nothing to the xmltv world. It is a completely parallel world which is
> only accessed by using the mythfilldatabase program from your mythtv
> box. (With General -> Program Download... -> mythfilldatabase AND forex
> Video Source -> OTA -> mythfilldatabase.

Got it.  But are you also saying that mythfilldatabase is no longer used/no
longer needed after switching to xmltv?

> - It seems like Schedules Direct can *add* channels to the myth
> > database, but it can't delete them?
>
> Of course you can. If you are using the JSON xmltv setup, that is done
> through the JSON configuration process, OR, as previously set out, using
> mythtv-setup -> Channel Editor.

I know *I* can, I was just complaining about how SD has added hundreds of
channels to my myth database over the years, but I'm not able to use it to
delete any.  Don't like the asymmetry!  But you explained earlier that this
doesn't matter with xmltv so happy to let it go.

> I'd really like to understand this better.  If there's a FAQ or
> > documentation that explains this please let me know!  Right now the more
> > I read the more confused I get.
>
> I guess I will have to go look at the wiki and see if the setup process
> can be clarified. Last time I looked it seemed reasonable to me, but
> then I *knew* that it was completely different from using the one and
> only! original mythfilldatabase off the web-site. (I've been using the
> JSON xmltv route since 2015!)

My biggest issue (aside from not being a linux or database guy) is that I'm
a visual thinker with a lousy memory.  I can understand block diagrams and
flowcharts but when faced with pages and pages of text full of acronyms I'm
not familiar with, it's just up and down rabbit holes trying to figure out
even the basics.  I'm not complaining about the documentation on an
amazing, free product; just trying to explain to everyone why I seem so
dense.  If I ever get an understanding of the full picture I'll try to
write up something that past me would have understood.

Really appreciate the help!