[mythtv-users] UK Crystal Palace OTA reception issue on CH55

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 10:42:57 UTC 2021

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 at 09:18, Nigel Jewell <nigel.jewell at grufty.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 11/03/2021 22:49, David Watkins wrote:
>

> Looking here:
>
> https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Crystal_Palace
>
> I see that BBC 4HD is on the highest frequency multiplex (CH55 746MHZ) at
> 43kW, whereas all the other multiplexes I record from are below 700MHz and
> at 200kW.
>

> Word of caution; I've found that site to be very out of date ... so it's
> worth double checking the data with other sources.  I use the Mendip
> transmitter, and what is listed for that is incorrect in respect of UHF
> channels and Freeview channels.  Can't speak for Crystal Palace of course.
>

> Nige.

I agree that up to date information is hard to fund.  The freeview website
suggests that channel 55 will be cleared from the Crystal Palace
transmitter in Q1 2018 - but it's still there at the  moment.

The only info I really trust is that provided by the MythTV scan, and so
far that's seemed to agree with the ukfree.tv website whenever I've looked
(which isn't very often).  I don't generally update my channels unless I
noticed that one I want isn't working, so it can take me a while to spot
any changes.

If they do clear the 700MHz band and move the freeview broadcasts to the
existing multiplexes on the lower channel numbers then that would solve my
aerial problem.  It's in a very inaccessible location on the roof so
replacing it isn't easy.

I think I'm going to remove the BBC 4 HD channel from my lineup for now and
hope it moves to an multiplex that works for me soon.