[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Connect 4K?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 03:20:24 UTC 2021

On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 6:50 PM Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:

> Slightly better reception than the HDHR4-2US (I'm using three of those).

In simple terms, every new generation of MaxLinear
tuners/demod (which are what are inside the box)
are better than the previous generation(*).  In this case
the 2 ATSC 1.0/3.0 tuners are universal worldwide
terrestrial tuners (one tuner design to rule them all)
depending on the programming, which are more
expensive than some earlier more limited designs,
but substantially reduce the design costs (rather
than one planar design per region, it is one design,
sometimes with a different antenna connection).

I have not seen a physical teardown of the new
device, but I suspect the 2 ATSC 1.0 (only) tuners
are also newer gen (or at a minimum a newer
revision) than the previous gen HDHRs(**).

(*) There are occasional exceptions where the
new tuner/demod turns out to handle certain
RF issues in ways that are worse than previous
gens in ways that require later firmware updates,
but those are the exception.

(**) Somewhere you can find the (shared) press
releases between MaxLinear and SiliconDust
about the selection (design wins are great
pressos in certain engineering communities
and fields).