[mythtv-users] Current generation low-power graphics card to use for 4K TV (both MythTV frontent and content)

James jam at tigger.ws
Tue Mar 9 23:52:51 UTC 2021

> On 9 Mar 2021, at 7:48 pm, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
>
> I think that was me posted the dance clip, and yes seconded: you couldn't wish for better playback than from these little devices. I recently found some H264 (High 10) videos which the graphics chip doesn't support and they played perfectly even though decoded on the CPU.
>
> I use mine just as a frontend. It sounds like you are running it as front and backend combined. Interesting. What sources do you have and what capture devices?

Indeed it was thee, sorry  to forget.
My nuc is the backend, I occasionally do some frontend stuff on it. I mostly use (soto voce) my mac laptop as a frontend (and have other linux machines that can do FE.

[sandypit] /home/jam [1001]% lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bc2:ab28 Seagate RSS LLC
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2040:8265 Hauppauge
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 2040:0265 Hauppauge
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 8087:0aaa Intel Corp.

I am about 10 km from transmitters with a (professionaly installed) external ant and yet the Haupauge are by far the best tuners that I've tried (pixellation on HD). I've also tried the jellyfish samples and the nuc does not falter till 80MHz HVEC

Quite OT I like mac hardware.  Linux does not run well well on the macbook pro, but linux VMs work very well.
Sadly (from an idealogical viewpoint) Parallels runs much quicker than Virtualbox. If I have significant work to do eg build myrh (from src) then the VM on the laptop is the most power machine I have

James