[mythtv-users] trouble with CSPAN channels

Jay Harbeston jharbestonus at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 13:49:40 UTC 2021

> On Mar 6, 2021, at 1:09 PM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
>

> In that case, it would appear that my days of using MythTV are numbered.  I do not know of any way to access the channels we watch that can be used by MythTV once the cable card stops working. The newer boxes don't have firewire any more so there's no way I know of the change the channel from MythTV on an X1 box, even if I invested in HD-PVR devices to capture the recordings. Heck, the X1 boxes don't even have component outputs either so there's not even any way to do that. From what I understand, the situation isn't any better with satellite services. Streaming services exist but their DVR's suck; you can't watch an in-progress recording until it's finished, which is unacceptable for my normal use case. All very discouraging.
>
> —Greg

TL:DR:   Put up an antenna and use OTA broadcast, and save a $100 a month.. :-)

This is probably a dead horse, but if you have decent antenna coverage in your area( I do have good coverage where I am located), Mythtv is great for over the air broadcasts.

The caveat for this is the big 5 or 6 networks are covered as well as several secondary channels available.

My channel lineup here in southeast NC are as follows:

ABC
CBS
NBC
Fox
CW
PBS

Secondary channels: These channels do series reruns from older to new series depending on network and are typically not broadcast in HD, though if the content was widescreen, they do broadcast in widescreen.

MeTV
StartTV
GetTV
Justice
CourtTV
H&I
Bounce
Laff
Grit
Dabl
ION
Cozi
Various PBS secondary

Your mileage may vary, but this is enough for me….
NOTE that if you are wanting the sports channels…. Then. You are stuck in the cable world though at the first 4 major networks above do broadcast some sports.

I use a $30 4 bay antenna to pick up stations from broadcast antennae that are around 40 miles away, and use a pair of HDHR4 tuners for 4 tuners total and have been using this setup for over 10 years.

Regards!