[mythtv-users] channel confusion

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 07:12:06 UTC 2021

> The normal procedure for doing full filesystem checks requires that
> you boot from a different partition (if you have more than one
> bootable system on the PC), or boot from a live disk or USB, or use a
> PXE network boot.  The reason for this is that there is no way to do a
> filesystem check on the boot partition while the system is running
> from it.

The way I do this is to configure all of my filesystems (I use ext4
across the board) to be checked at every boot, by means of the -c 1
parameter to tune2fs. Including the root fs (from which the system also
boots).

For this not only to check but also repair, it is necessary to specify
fsck.repair=yes on the kernel command line.

I take the following as evidence that it does indeed work:

# dumpe2fs -h /dev/nvme0n1p1 | grep "ount count"
dumpe2fs 1.44.1 (24-Mar-2018)
Mount count:              1
Maximum mount count:      1

That is: I'm assuming that the mount counter wouldn't be reset to 1 if
the check&repair of the root fs were skipped. I haven't investigated
this in any detail, but I suspect that the root fs check is performed
before it is mounted r/w and pivoted to.

HTH, Jan