[mythtv-users] mythfrontend over vnc crashes

Leo Butler leo.butler81 at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 2 01:15:01 UTC 2021

James <jam at tigger.ws> writes:

>> On 1 Mar 2021, at 9:57 pm, Leo Butler via mythtv-users <mythtv-users at mythtv.org> wrote:
>>
>> I upgraded my frontend and separate backend from ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04,
>> then upgraded myth from the .29 mythbuntu ppa to .31 (all due to the
>> pending changes involving the metadata grabbers).
>>
>> The frontend and backend both work fine after the upgrade.
>>
>> Before the upgrade, I was able to use vnc tunnelled over ssh to run
>> mythfrontend on the backend, too (I do most editing this way). Here is
>> the complete command to run the server:
>>
>> Xtightvnc :100 -desktop MYTHTV_SERVER -auth
>> /home/mythtv-user/.Xauthority -geometry 1500x860 -depth 24 -rfbwait
>> 120000 -rfbauth /home/mythtv-user/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 6000 -fp
>> /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/
>> -co /etc/X11/rgb -nevershared
>>

>> The vncserver runs a fluxbox window manager.
>>
>> After the upgrade, that no longer works even though mythfrontend works
>> on the backend (under the gnome desktop). It looks like a Qt-related
>> problem, but I am at a loss how to fix it.
>>
>> Attached are stdout and stderr from
>>
>> mythfrontend > m.log 2> m.err.txt
>>
>> in a terminal inside the fluxbox-managed vnc session.
>
> Leo
>
> just a generic question, and the answer may be idealogy
>
> vnc does not forward sound and some of my frontends cannot do pulse but nomachine is trivally easy to setup and works well
>
> James

James,

I do use x2go on another server I control. It works fine and is pretty
easy to setup, yes.

But no, I haven't gone that route here, mainly because I would like to
understand why a long-running, stable solution is now failing. Plus, I
don't want/need the extras that x2go provides (like sound).

Leo