[mythtv-users] Apple Bluetooth keyboard keeps going to sleep

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Tue Jun 29 22:50:39 UTC 2021

On 6/28/21 7:02 PM, James Linder wrote:

>> On 29 Jun 2021, at 7:08 am, David Newman <dnewman at networktest.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ever since upgrading from Ubuntu 16 LTS (and then 18 and now 20), I've
>> been having an issue with an older Apple bluetooth keyboard where the
>> keyboard becomes nonresponsive after somewhere between 2 and 10 minutes.
>>
>> I can get it working again but only if I power-cycle the keyboard or
>> remove/reinsert the dongle, or both. I've also tried fresh akaline AA
>> batteries in the keyboard multiple times, and replacing the dongle, but
>> the problem follows the keyboard.
>>
>> The 'hcitool con' command shows the keyboard is still connected when
>> this happens, usually in "state 1". However, the keyboard's caps lock
>> key won't illuminate after it goes to sleep.
>>
>> Is there some command on the Ubuntu side that would keep the keyboard
>> awake? It's a pain to use as is.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> dn
>>

>> Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-77-generic x86_64)
>>
>> Apple magic keyboard (aluminum, early 2010s)
>>
>> TrendNet TBW-106UB USB 2.0 dongle)
>
> Using mine on a NUC (builtin bluetooth) I have no issues (On ubuntu 20.04 and SuSE Leap 15.2)
> James
>
> PS
> My kbd is 2010ish

Thanks. On further investigation, I think this could be due to some
issue with the Myth box, either hardware or software, and not the Apple
keyboard.

1. A different Bluetooth keyboard, a brand-new Logitech K380, had the
same issue of losing link soon after pairing with the Myth box.

2. The Apple keyboard paired and maintained link with an iPad Pro, even
after being idle for more than one hour.

Both tests point back to some possible issue with the Myth box.

Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting clues on keeping the Bluetooth
link alive.

dn