[mythtv-users] Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Jun 22 11:24:25 UTC 2021

On 22/06/2021 10:08, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 21/06/2021 23:07, Phill Edwards wrote:
>>
>>      >>> The Sofabaton is my expected fallback when/if my Harmony's quit
>>      >>> working.  Sadly, I don't know of any other affordable, universal,
>>      >>> bluetooth remotes.
>>
>>     The sofa baton is an interesting device, and it is on sale in
>>     amazon's prime day for less than US $40.
>>

>> I just watched a review of the Sofabaton. Looks ok but doesn't seem to have the equivalent of
>> Harmony's activities, which means it can't automatically select HDMI inputs when you turn things
>> on. That was such a good WAF feature.
>
> Yes, but I think you could make it emulate that feature, providing you reserve one button for the
> activity-change-over actions so, unlike with the harmony where you just change activity, you'd need
> to change activity and then press your setup button.

I think that it is a balance of where you want to have the 'business logic', if you like. In the
Harmony, the existing state of everything is held in the remote itself, so it knows what to change
when you press an activity button.

It would be possible to move that all to your host end. That way, you'd simply have a spare button
on the remote which, when pressed, runs (for example) a script which reads the existing state info
previously stored in, I dunno, /var/something, and does whatever is required to effect the switching.

Of course, that implies that that host retains all the state info so would have to be on all the
time. Suitable project for a RPi, anyone?

--

Mike Perkins