[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

glen glenb at glenb.net
Sat Jun 5 20:52:46 UTC 2021

On Sat, 2021-06-05 at 11:55 -0400, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
>  >Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see
> MythTV
> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.
>
> I'm a USA Comcast user and a long tong time mythtv user, backend on
> Ubuntu and mostly classic frontend on Ubuntu. My biggest
> disappointment
> is with the commercial detection software. It does work well on a few
> programs but it does poorly on most. I have not seen any improvement
> over the years.
>
> I envy the platforms that employ some outside service to do the
> marking
> by whatever technology or human efforts they employ. I wonder if
> schedules direct might consider a premium service that integrates
> commercial marking data from one of the commercial services.
>
> On a different technology idea I also wonder if there is a machine
> learning approach that could be employed to train the detection
> software.
>
> Although mythtv is by far my primary, I do have a Comcast box to deal
> with ON Demand, streams, and as a backup in case there is a mythtv
> glitch. However, it would be great if Mythtv had something like
> "video
> Download Helper" to handle streams. I don't really know what works
> well
> for this, I haven't actually had much luck experimenting directly
> with
> Video Download Helper.

i had same issues on commercial skips. i found that comskip works much
better and you can create different 'ini' files for different channels.
i use mostly ota and cable box. i wrote a script to replace myth's
detection with comskip and spent a little time experimenting to make 3
different profiles for ini files for different channels and its working
really good for me. also comskip can do processing as the programs
record. still not perfect but very close to perfect on the
shows/channels i am using. i'm not much of bash scripting person so its
still a work in progress, but working. if anybody wants it, email me
and i'll send it. i have it set up to act as replacement for
mythcommflag or post record user job depending upon the variables. i'm
on arch linux and comskip is in the aur for arch. i assume something
similar for other distros.