[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 22:47:58 UTC 2021

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021, 11:27 pm Paul Harrison, <mythtv at mythqml.net> wrote:

> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV in
> the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you like
> to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video media
> library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What plugins do
> you use?  What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy with the
> user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?

I've been using MythTV for 20 years. These days I still record FTA but even
though I love Mythfrontend I use other frontends to watch (such as
Leanfront from a Google TV device).

I agree with other commenters that the loss of MythBuntu was huge because
that made a very complex setup process easier. And the LIRC setup is
impossible difficult to expect most people to deal with.

I had a play with TV Headend a while back. It's back-end only, but the
installation and setup is quick and easy so worth looking at for ideas on
how to improve ease of install for MythTV.

The other area I think could be improved a lot is channel setup, especially
rescans and the issues that causes with duplicate channels  I remember it
being a lot easier in TV Headend.

I really hope MythTV doesn't go away because it's incredibly powerful. But
I guess that's also why it's difficult for people who don't like to fiddle
with tech.