[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Fri Jun 4 19:39:00 UTC 2021

Paul Harrison wrote:

> We can see from the number of Scheduled Direct users and the Smolt
> data that MythTV is losing users at an ever increasing rate.  We think
> one reason for this is it's getting harder and harder to record stuff
> because more services are becoming encrypted requiring proprietary
> boxes to view and record content and some services are moving to an
> on-demand type of service that are hard or impossible to record.
>

> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV
> in the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you
> like to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video
> media library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What
> plugins do you use?  What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy
> with the user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?
>
> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.

I have been using MythtV since 2012, recording off FTA satellite
broadcasts.  For encrypted stuff (local telly), I have a receiver card
with a CAM module.

I have two satellite dishes and six LNBs - the two-three times a year of
re-tuning/-scanning to keep up with channels moving around can get a
little tedious.  I think there is room for improvement.

Also, the ability to specify the language of the audio stream(s) when
recording would be nice - I get lots of recordings in languages I don't
understand.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.8°C)