[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

Johan Van der Kolk johan.vanderkolk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 15:05:02 UTC 2021

> Op 4 jun. 2021, om 16:30 heeft Stuart Auchterlonie <stuarta at squashedfrog.net> het volgende geschreven:
>
> On 04/06/2021 15:18, TimP wrote:
>> On 2021-06-04 14:17, Paul Harrison wrote:
>>> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
>>> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.
>> We watch quite a bit from Netflix et al. using an Nvidia Shield but kept the mythfrontend box as it does frame rate switching for our recorded stuff and our video collection. I don't see us dropping MythTV as our recordings are from Freeview DVB which won't go encrypted and should be around for a few years. MythTV commercial skipping is brilliant.
>> What would be nice is to get the web interface to the backend to be as useful as mythweb for scheduling recordings. I'm still using mythweb, but it is showing signs of bit-rot.
>
> We are fully aware of this one, and work has been done towards this
> goal. It is however slow progress :(
>
>> Thanks for all the effort the devs have put in, and please don't drop it.
>
> No plans!

I’ll try to stick with MythTv as long as i can, as I have been using it since 0.17 or so. (2006?). However, I have to use an external decryption program to decode the channels using my CI card. I tried last winter to link the CI card and DVB-S2 receivers directly as per instructions from the receiver manufacturer. That was not successful as at best I could receive one  program at the time, whereas the CI card should at least decode 4 channels simultaneously in this setup. (It actually does 8)
So, given that my only option at the moment is using an unsupported loopback device I’ll stick with Myth as long as that works.
All my DVB-S2 channels are also available as streams and I would love a feature that allows recording multiple streams like they were regular TV channels using the same scheduler and ad skipping, (which works perfect by the way).
I can use streams and DVB-S2 under the same subscription, so it would be easy to switch.

I understand that IPTV is only standardised in name, but there are many variations in content delivery, protection and stream protocols. For my streams I only need a password/username linked to paying account.

Johan