[mythtv-users] Ceton vs multirec questions

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Wed Jul 28 18:58:27 UTC 2021

    > Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 13:48:57 -0400
    > From: Steve Greene <sgreene820 at gmail.com>

    > A little off-topic, but the Ceton 6 ETH doesn't require that funky Ceton
    > driver that is no longer builds with the kernel? I had to give up my
    > 4-tuner PCI-Express card because of that.

The 6ETH is Ethernet-only and requires no drivers.  That's a big part of
why I'm using it.  (I used to use Hauppage PVT-250/350 hardware, which seemed
to be quite fragile in later kernel versions, which was one of many things
that kept convincing me to defer upgrading lest I break a working system.)

The issue with a network-connected tuner is that it's sensitive to network
congestion; typically they're UDP and won't retransmit.  (Even TCP would
be an issue with small buffers, but I wish the option existed.)  Once I'm
done testing, I intend to move the Ceton off my main network and onto a
dedicated second NIC in the backend.  (Intel PCIe gigabit NICs are cheap
and very reliable.)

You should be able to find 6ETH's on eBay; they seem to pop up regularly.