[mythtv-users] Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 13:17:35 UTC 2021

On 7/25/21 8:18 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 07:27:16 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> This problem is most likely caused by changing HDMI inputs away from my
>> PC and then back again. It's more subtle than it was a few years ago
>> when I was chasing this on 1080P.
>>
>> I've recently tried setting my PC to UHD 4K with a scale factor of 200%
>> on any *buntu version with 5.11 kernel so I have gfx software new enough
>> to support my 11th gen Intel based NUC.
>>
>> This seems to help 1080 content like mythtv since the TV in UHD improved
>> HD content.
>>
>> If I set my HDMI 2.0 switch to the NUC and boot it, my TV is rock solid
>> regardless of what video I play, mythtv, streaming, games, etc.
>>
>> If I leave the NUC on and switch to another HDMI source and later back
>> to the NUC I get the occasional screen blanking and loss of audio for
>> about 1-2 seconds. This repeats randomly.
>>
>> I can fix this by:
>>
>> 1. rebooting or
>>
>> 2. setting the screen to 1080p 100% scaling.
>>
>> This sound like that old problem where you had to capture the EDID in a
>> file and play with xorg.conf so the settings got reset with an HDMI
>> event like switching.
>>
>> I can't find that old discussion.  I have not had to do any such tricks
>> is a very long time.  This just started when I changed to 4K settings
>> instead of HD.  It's always been a 4K TV. I thought it might be hardware
>> but all the cables and switches are 4K at 60 HDMI 2.0 rated.
>>
>> At this point I just reboot each time I want to connect the PC to to the TV.
>>
>> Any ideas??
> You could get a better HDMI switch - I think there are ones that will
> remember the EDID data and emulate the presence of the TV on any ports
> where the real TV is not connected.  Full KVM switches seem to usually
> have that feature.  But good HDMI KVM switches are not cheap.

The switch I picked was about $40 and worked great until I started
testing at 4K at 60. I tried using the second HDMI on the TV but had issues
with that, so I didn't spend a lot of time with it. Since I split the
output of the switch with a HDMI 2.0 digital audio extractor. I didn't
want to go that route.

the switch I use is

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MCS9PJD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim A