[mythtv-users] Still setting up XMLTV

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Jul 12 15:46:51 UTC 2021

On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 08:53:36 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Lloyd!
>
>> Huh, RAM. I've never given any thought to the RAM on this machine. I
>> just made sure it has huge storage. It has 8GB, but it could use up to
>> 32. RAM is cheap.? How much should I have?
>
>Fill it up! You may be better off to remove your original 8 GB to
>replace with faster RAM (the 2666, 3200, numbers) Check with your
>(motherboard’s) manual for the maximum speed your system can use. Also
>make sure to get the correct type (the DDR4, DDR3 thing). The kits (2x)
>are matched sets so try not to mix them up when installaing (se you
>manual for what memory slots are paired).
>
>I generally go to Crucial.com to get an idea of what I can use then
>check prices – sometimes I buy direct, sometimes other sites.
>

>With the ‘full RAM’ you might find your system is overall faster. On the
>Status > Information >Machine Status page (Backend or Frontend) you’ll
>see statistics for RAM and Swap usage. Ideally you want 0 Swap usage.
>RAM will look like near 100% usage: it’s the actual stuff put into
>memory plus disk cache. I found this webage
>https://www.linuxatemyram.com/ <https://www.linuxatemyram.com/> helpful
>to explain.

There is usually some swap used even in systems where it is not
necessary due to having excessive amounts of RAM.  That seems to
happen when there are bits of code that are simply not being used, so
the system swaps them out.  RAM that is not in use is normally used as
file cache, so you need a tool that will show you what RAM is actually
in use and what is just file cache.  I use htop - a better version of
the top command that is normally installed by default.  You have to
install the htop package.

I also use this script (swap.sh) to go through all the /proc entries
for the programs that are running and extract the swap usage:

https://gist.github.com/samqiu/5954487