[mythtv-users] Alsa volume control (and mute) not working...

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 18:45:15 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-31 5:16 a.m., Mary Strimel wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 6:41 AM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 1/31/21 12:11 AM, mythtv at kosowsky.org wrote:
>>> I am running mythtv-light 31.0.54 on my Raspberry Pi 4.
>>>
>>> I have:
>>>    Audio output device: ALSA:default
>>>    Mixer Device: AlSA:Default
>>>    Mixer Controls: Master
>>>
>>> I am able to hear audio but the (mythtv) keyboard volume control and
>>> mute don't have any effect.
>>>
>>> They do work if I change Mixer Device to "Software"
>>>

>>> Note: I don't have this problem on my x86 Ubuntu 18.04 mythtv server,
>>> so seems to be something about my Raspberry PI configuration.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on why Alsa is not working as a mixer device?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>

>> I have never gotten ALSA:default to work on the RPI4.  I use HDMI for
>> both picture and sound, so I use something with hardware and HDMI in the
>> name. I can't remember the exact name because my RPI4 is not setup with
>> mythtv right now.
>>
>> Jim A
>

> For what it may be worth ... it took me a while to find the hdmi device
> because it wasn’t named “IEC-something something “ like the wiki said it
> should be. Mine had dw in the name, and only the description said hdmi.
> There was also a tick box to enable control through MythTV. Works fine.

For mythfrontend v31 I set my RPi4 sound device as follows:

    ALSA:hw:CARD-b1,DEV-0              # HDMI sound
    ALSA:hw:CARD-Headphones,DEV=0     # For 3.5mm analog audio

I noticed in the 2020-12-02 release of Raspberry Pi OS [1] that
PulseAudio is now included and running by default.  That might be
related to the volume control behavior you are experiencing.

[1] https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspios_lite_armhf/release_notes.txt

Curtis