[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase failing

Mary Strimel mary.strimel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 17:49:31 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 5:09 AM Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 31/01/2021 01:52, Bill Meek wrote:
> > On 1/30/21 7:40 PM, Mary Strimel wrote:

> >> Narrowing the issue, I found that I am able to get listings if I run
> mythfilldatabase as regular user mary, but I get the Schedules Direct
> >> lineup error if I run it as user mythtv. I thought the grabber was
> supposed to be used and configured as user mythtv though, and
> >> mythfilldatabase run as that user also. What should I do? Is there a
> way to tell mythtv to run mythfilldatabase as a regular user?
> >> I compared the FIOS.xmltv files under /home/mary and /home/mythtv. I
> thought I'd caught the issue when I noticed that the first file had both
> >> lineups listed (OTA and cable) and the second had only the cable
> lineup. But when I conformed the files to make the second match the first, I
> >> still get the error when I run mythfilldatabase as user mythtv. this
> sounds crazy but is it possible that user mythtv is not able to create the
> >> required /tmp file for that lineup.
> >
> > See if this explains things. It's only the files for XMLTV, don't
> > remove all other files (someone did so I have to add this.)
> >

> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3480&p=19513&hilit=ascii+art#p19508
> >
> Another thing to look at is file permissions for files under the different
> users. Any variations
> could cause what you see.
>
> Also check the cache directories and files under those users. Temporary
> files can get put there
> during the run as well as in /tmp.
>
> Thank you Mike, Peter, and everyone for your suggestions - I think it may
be working now! i first tried changing the permissions of all files
including cache files in .mythtv/ and .xmltv/ for both users (mary and
mythtv) to 777 but that did not work. Then on a random hunch i renamed
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/FIOS.xmltv to /home/mythtv/.mythtv/FIOS.xmltv.old and
swapped in the copy from /home/mary/.xmltv.  Visual inspection had shown
these files to be identical except for the location of the SchedulesDirect
database, but whatever, I thought I'd try it. I edited the file to point it
to the proper copy of the database in /home/mythtv and tried running the
grabber as user mythtv and it appears to be chunking away as we speak.