[mythtv-users] Major chnages to ir-keytable in v4l-utils version 1.20.0?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Jan 24 18:30:43 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-24 11:00 a.m., Tom Dexter wrote:
>> OK...I found this which seems to explain a lot:
>>
>> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=3729&start=30
>>
>> So that simple format I was using no longer works. From what I see
>> there, I *think* that I no longer need to manually write to
>> /sys/class/rc if the command I use specifies -s (--sysdev) set to, for
>> example rc1.
>>
>> Will reply when/if I get that working.
>>
>> Tom
>>

> OK...Got this working with changes like those referenced in the above link.
>
> I was correct that there's no need to manually write out the protocol
> as long as -s is specified. The other change however is that the "-d"
> option to specify the input device (/dev/input/eventN) is no longer a
> valid option, and apparently not needed.
>
> Wow though...this crap doesn't seem to be documented worth a shit
> frankly, let alone these major changes in 1.20.0. All pretty
> disingenuous if you ask me.

Thanks for the heads-up, Tom.
For those of us running Fedora, Fedora 33 uses the 1.20.0.1 version of v
4l-utils. so this will be a required change from 32 or below.

The link:  https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=3729&start=30 has
some good discussion and examples for fixing this, including a sample
systemd service file (instead of using rc.local to initiate things).

That page also references a Debian man page for rc_keymap. The 'man
rc_keymap' page (which I had never run across) has a lot more info than
the ir_keytable page provides about how this all works.

The following sed invocation will update the format of an rc_keymaps
file to the new version (which however will need renaming and [protocol]
sections added by hand). At least sed removes the drudgery portion of
the update:

sed -i 's|0x\([0-9a-fA-F]*\) \([0-9A-Z_]*\)|0x\1 = "\2"|g'
/etc/rc_keymaps/your_keyfile_here

Geoff