[mythtv-users] Mythtv on Rock Pi X

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sun Jan 17 11:42:05 UTC 2021

On 16/01/2021 05:48, James Linder wrote:

>> On 15 Jan 2021, at 6:44 am, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>>

>>> On 15 Jan 2021, at 1:04 am, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been using one of these as frontend for a few months now: https://store.minisforum.com/collections/intel%C2%AE-celeron%C2%AE-series/products/minisforum-n40-mini-pc  Very pleased with it. Has played everything I've thrown at it flawlessly, including UK BBC 1080i, which can be problematic on some setups.
>>
>> I'm not looking at low cost I'm looking at really smooth playback.
>>  From what I see this hardware is the same as UDOO
>> (I was not spashing $$, it was for a job)
>> https://shop.udoo.org/udoo-x86-ii-advanced-plus.html
>> If so the video is definitly acceptable, but not outstanding. I also do not want a Boeing on my table!
>
> I while ago I said my HD was no better than SD. After the inital 'crap' response there was opinion that broadcasters round the world are slowly downgrading the quality. IIRC Stuart sent me a link to jellyfish samples recorded at various rates, encoding and at 1080 and 4k.
> These were good, smooth and sharp.
>
> I wonder if broadcast is affecting perception here too.
> The link of a system that you find 'smooth' has intel HD 600 graphics.
> I have a NUC with intel HD 655 graphics that I find 'acceptable' but not 'stellar'
>
> I see most broadcast stuff is at 25 FPS. My samsung tv fiddles 'till that looks smoooth, but myth on a (50Hz) monitor looks 'jerky'.
>
> Does anyone have a snippet of smooth fast action I may evalute.
> The jellyfish are lovely, but any jerkyness is hidden in their languid serinity.

Try this:
http://download.glidos.net/Strictly%20-%20Kara%20&%20Artem%20-%20Viennese%20Waltz.mp4.
Dance looks terrible if not played back perfectly.

Strange to see problems with that NUC you refer to. Do you have
automatic frame rate matching set in your frontend under
setup->appearance? Does that menu show all the modes you'd expect for
the connected monitor? Have you checked your mythfrontend logs to see if
it is setting the correct mode? Also if you swap monitors, you'll need
to restart X and mythfrontend, otherwise it likely wont pick up the
change in supported modes.