[mythtv-users] Mythtv on Rock Pi X

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Sat Jan 16 05:48:40 UTC 2021

> On 15 Jan 2021, at 6:44 am, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>

>> On 15 Jan 2021, at 1:04 am, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
>>
>> I've been using one of these as frontend for a few months now: https://store.minisforum.com/collections/intel%C2%AE-celeron%C2%AE-series/products/minisforum-n40-mini-pc  Very pleased with it. Has played everything I've thrown at it flawlessly, including UK BBC 1080i, which can be problematic on some setups.
>
> I'm not looking at low cost I'm looking at really smooth playback.
> From what I see this hardware is the same as UDOO
> (I was not spashing $$, it was for a job)
> https://shop.udoo.org/udoo-x86-ii-advanced-plus.html
> If so the video is definitly acceptable, but not outstanding. I also do not want a Boeing on my table!

I while ago I said my HD was no better than SD. After the inital 'crap' response there was opinion that broadcasters round the world are slowly downgrading the quality. IIRC Stuart sent me a link to jellyfish samples recorded at various rates, encoding and at 1080 and 4k.
These were good, smooth and sharp.

I wonder if broadcast is affecting perception here too.
The link of a system that you find 'smooth' has intel HD 600 graphics.
I have a NUC with intel HD 655 graphics that I find 'acceptable' but not 'stellar'

I see most broadcast stuff is at 25 FPS. My samsung tv fiddles 'till that looks smoooth, but myth on a (50Hz) monitor looks 'jerky'.

Does anyone have a snippet of smooth fast action I may evalute.
The jellyfish are lovely, but any jerkyness is hidden in their languid serinity.

James