[mythtv-users] Video storage groups question....

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 09:30:56 UTC 2021

On 15/01/2021 05:09, stinga wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> I struggle with video storage groups.
>
> I have 4 drives and each drive shows up as 4  separate dirs when I go to
> videos.
> This makes it hard when you want to watch something as you need to know
> what disk it is on.
>
> I suspect I am not setting it up correctly.
>
> To get around this, I am creating a dir that is full of links to the
> original storage groups, but this takes a while to populate and does not
> seem to be correct to me.
>
> I was sort of expecting a similar thing to recorded shows, where mythtv
> provides a list of things to watch and I don't need to care what disk
> they are on...
>
> Any help for me? Am I setting up something incorrectly?
>
> MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from storagegroup;
> +----+-----------+----------+--------------+
> | id | groupname | hostname | dirname      |
> +----+-----------+----------+--------------+
> | 67 | Videos    | mythtv   | /sg/mv1      |
> | 83 | Videos    | mythtv   | /sg/movies   |
> |  5 | Fanart    | mythtv   | /sg/fanart   |
> | 69 | Videos    | mythtv   | /sg/mv2      |
> | 65 | Default   | mythtv   | /sg/tv2/tv/  |
> | 66 | Default   | mythtv   | /sg/tv3/tv/  |
> | 77 | Coverart  | mythtv   | /sg/coverart |
> | 10 | LiveTV    | mythtv   | /sg/live_tv  |
> | 81 | Videos    | mythtv   | /sg/mv4/     |
> | 82 | Videos    | mythtv   | /sg/mv3/     |
> +----+-----------+----------+--------------+
>
> The DB is years old and comes originally from KnoppMyth so has been
> through a few changes in its lifetime and on various machines.

There may be problems with this, perhaps in relation to metadata, but I
have individual video folders as links in a single Video SG that is
defined in mythtv-setup.  The links are set up via the file manager and
changing them doesn't require another run of setup.

That makes it easy to reset all the hashes by scanning an empty folder.

I do seem to remember having difficulty with creating video seektables
in this configuration, and the seektables may not survive relinking.

Just a suggestion.  Comments?

John P