[mythtv-users] icons

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 11:28:12 UTC 2021

> The backend log will have an entry SIMILAR to this:
>
>   Using configuration directory = /home/mythtv/.mythtv
>
> That should reflect how the backend was started and possibly changed
> is MYTHCONFDIR was set (MYTHCONFDIR overrides HOME).
>
> See if the ChannelIcons Storage Group exists and if so where it
> points. If it doesn't exist then the directory is automatically
> set to ~mythtv/.mythtv/channels. Or some other user's path.

Thank you - that explains why my system is looking for icons in
/etc/mythtv/channels.

So I have had most success with manually downloading icons from lyngsat and
putting them in the above directory.  I may look to moving this to
~/.mythtv/channels now I know how.

Then I add the icon name (but not the filepath) to the database.

At this point they appear in the mythfrontend EPG but not on Mythweb or
WebFrontend listing pages.

Restarting the backend generates some additional renditions of the icon
files, in the same directory, and they now show on the web views (providing
I flush the browser cache).

One issue I have is that the icon images from lyngsat are rectangular, and
that's how they appear on the WebFrontEnd where they look pretty sharp.
But on my Frontend (running mythcenter-wide) they're displayed square and
look a bit clunky.  Is there a theme tweak I can do to sort that out?