[mythtv-users] slow mythfilldatabase

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Sat Jan 9 00:34:48 UTC 2021

On 1/6/21 12:50 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 22:03:16 -0800, you wrote:
>
>> MythTV Version : v31.0-v31.0 on Ubuntu 20 LTS, mysql 8.0.22
>>
>> Greetings. After upgrading from Ubuntu 18 LTS to 20 LTS,
>> mythfilldatabase takes 45-60 minutes to run, sometimes more. It
>> previously took less than three minutes, and the system didn't have this
>> problem when upgrading from Ubuntu 16 LTS to 18 LTS.
>
> Where do you get your EPG data from?  Previous reports of similar
> problems turned out to be caused by getting a huge data set from
> Schedules Direct - all of the EPG rather than just the new data.  As I
> understand it (not being a Schedules Direct user), you are supposed to
> only get the full EPG data on the first download, and then after that
> limit how much you get to only the new data or maybe only one week of
> data.  If you have recently changed to Schedules Direct or to the new
> way of downloading the Schedules Direct data, that might be your
> problem.

Thanks. I've been a Schedules Direct customer for years.

Where is the size of the data set configured? AFAICT the Schedules
Direct web page only covers what channel listings to grab (and even
then, I'd only selected a small subset of these, perhaps 50 channels). I
don't see anything in the MythTV config menus but perhaps I missed it.

dn