[mythtv-users] Curious fast forward problem

mythtv mythtv at mdabbs.org
Fri Jan 8 04:05:14 UTC 2021

On 1/7/21 8:12 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 1/6/21 4:36 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Are you sure that the frontend just hasn't gotten an update to the
>> currently-detected commercial skiplist and, perhaps, the last update
>> it received was one with a commercial start but without its
>> accompanying commercial end?  Basically it received an update while
>> the commercial detection was inside a commercial break (so the last
>> mark was a MARK_COMM_START ) and the backend hasn't sent out an update
>> that includes the MARK_COMM_END ?
>>
>> IIRC, I think the COMMFLAG_UPDATE event tends to be sent (to any
>> frontends that requested updates for that program with a
>> COMMFLAG_REQUEST event) every 500 frames or so of commercial
>> detection, so that would be around 8m 20s of actual program time for a
>> 60fps show, but depending on how busy/powerful the system running the
>> commercial detection is and depending on how far it's trying to stay
>> away from the "now" of the recording, I could see how it could be
>> 10+min behind now.  For interlaced video, I'm not sure if it's
>> actually frames or fields, but if it's still 500 frames, an update
>> would be sent after processing about 16m 40s of recording in a 1080i60
>> show, for example.
>>
>> It's possible that when the flagger recomputes the commercial skip
>> list, it ensures it never ends with a MARK_COMM_START, in which case
>> this shouldn't be the problem, but I haven't looked.
>>
>> Anyway, just a thought.  If nothing else, something like this could
>> explain the intermittency of the issue.  Feel free to ignore me if my
>> guess is way off, though. :)
>
> I have commercial detection turned off on all recordings.
>
> Peter

Well, good to know it's not just me.  Sucks to know that it seems so
difficult to troubleshoot. I'm running all android frontends so I no
longer build from source, but couldn't some log message be added when
skip is requested and have it log what it thinks it should skip and why?
In my case, it seems like if it's not skipping either 30 or 5 seconds,
then something is way wrong, as those should be the only 2 amounts it
should jump by.

I've not built the android version from source, but if it's straight
forward enough, then I might be able to add the log message and test it
if someone could guide me where to look for the code and to build a new apk.