[mythtv-users] Important: Changes to Metadata lookup in March 2021

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 18:08:16 UTC 2021

On 2/23/21 5:58 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 6:17:00 PM, you wrote:
>

>> On 2/23/21 7:12 AM, Ian Evans wrote:
>>

>> Is this change being ported back to some older         versions? Still on 29-fixes for now.
>

>> You must be on an older version of Linux. I see that the v0.29
>> ppa has not been built since 2019, so I don't know if it is still    built. It probably has python 2.
>> The metadata lookup python modules are independent of the mythtv
>> version, and should probably have been a separate package.
>> It may be possible to drop the new modules into your installation
>> and compile the python, and it should work, but I don't have an      easy way of testing it.
>> Anybody interested in testing this?
>> Peter
>>
> Hoi Peter,
>
> I might. I run Gentoo with both python 2 and 3 and know my python. I
> still run 0.27.
> Where can I find the package? Is it possible to fool these older
> versions by renaming the new package to the old name or is the in-
> and/or output different?
>
> Tot mails,
>    Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens

Hi Hika

It should work if you copy the new scripts into your system. The new
scripts are supposed to be compatible with both python2 and python3.
They definitely work with python 3.

Check your python path by running
python3
import sys
sys.path

Find the correct path for dist-packages, using the same one that is used
for your old version of mythtv.

Copy the files from the latest MythTV github, on both backend and
frontend (using your correct dist-packages path):

github  mythtv/bindings/python/tmdb3/tmdb3/* ->
/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/MythTV/tmdb3/

github  mythtv/bindings/python/tvmaze/* ->
/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/MythTV/tvmaze/

These use the /usr/share path:

github mythtv/programs/scripts/metadata/Television/tmdb3tv.py ->
/usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Television/

github mythtv/programs/scripts/metadata/Television/tvmaze.py ->
/usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Television/

Compile the new stuff in /usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/MythTV
subdirectories to create the __pycache__ directory in each.
python3 -m py_compile *.py

Test it by running these

Display help page
/usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Television/tmdb3tv.py -h

Display series data xml
/usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Television/tmdb3tv.py -l en -a US -M Monk

Display episode data xml
/usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Television/tmdb3tv.py -l en -a US -N 1695
"Mr. Monk and the Psychic"

Display episode data xml
/usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Television/tmdb3tv.py -l en -a US -N Monk
"Mr. Monk and the Psychic"

Run the same tests for tvmaze.py

Let me know if this works.

Note: You need to install them on all frontends and backend.

Peter