[mythtv-users] Database damage?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 01:53:07 UTC 2021

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 1:23 AM Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> Incidentally, this unit has been powered through a UPS for most of its life.

Does not really matter, as the common cause of these supply
failures is well understood (aging/failing caps) and the quality
of the incoming source is typically not entirely relevant.

> I’ve reached out to SiliconDust about getting a replacement.

Replacements are available from their online shop, or if
you wish to source locally, the specs are referenced on
their forum (I think they moved them, but there is still
a reference on their forum to the new location).

>  After all, it is only 10 years old!  ;)

That is well in excess of the design life (3-5 years) of
most of these consumer electronics power supplies,
although as with anything else, there will be samples
that last a much shorter time, or a much longer time,
than the design life.

Should you still be using that HDHR in 5+ years,
do not be surprised if you need yet another
adapter replacement.

FWIW, I generally recommend having a "spare"
supply available for testing since any particular
supply can fail at any time (as you mention
sometimes you can find another supply that can
stand-in for operations/testing, often being used
on some other consumer electronics device).