[mythtv-users] Slow Videos browsing

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Wed Feb 3 13:07:32 UTC 2021

 ---- On Wed, 03 Feb 2021 12:49:26 +0000 Doug Lytle <support at drdos.info> wrote ----

 > Tim,
 >
 > I'm still on 29 and use MythVideo extensively.
 >
 > I've got around 660 DVDs ripped that are on a SAN with an XFS file system connected via 8gbit fibre channel.
 >
 > I'm using Gallery View and it takes around 6 seconds to bring the main page up, but all sub folders seem to populate quickly.
 >
 > My Scifi directory contains 186 movies at a size of 744GB
 >
 > My suggestion would be to eliminate your Shield has being the problem.  Do you have another FE to test with?
 >
 > Doug

Since posting, I've got my lenovo t450s (i5 5200u) setup with an FE (fedora33 with mythfrontend from repos) and '--verbose general:debug' on. seeing a lot of coverart lookup processing, and once complete the UI updates so currently seems like coverart loading is the hold up. Also tested an rpi4 with same results; doesnt appear to be related to raw grunt
Since according to the wiki (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Video_Library), coverart will only go 1 layer down into the immediate child dir, i've setup a middle dir to avoid that and it seems to have sped up to loading. ofcourse, instead of one bigger 10-15second delay, i'm now getting multiple 3-5seconds depending on file count (thus total amount of coverart lookups).

interestingly with the test move of content to a deeper dir, i'm also seeing the BE crash. Obviously i need to rescan which runs metadata lookup but it's crashed twice so far in 5-10mins as well as HUGE load avg on BE host (currently at Load average: 124.96 85.77 47.12, immediately after a 3rd crash), and mythbackend is chewing my ram & 14GB of swap.
typical BE server load is around 0.3's and <2GB ram (8GB total).

BE mythtv version: v31.0-129-ge8d34eacf7