[mythtv-users] convoluted questiom

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 14:43:33 UTC 2021

James:
> This does mean that to upgrade I have to temporarily
> reboot the server onto a different subnet to do any upgrades, etc.

On a Linux system you can add a second IP address to a device to access
a second network:

    *Second/Alternate IP address – two network address:*

    sudo ip addr add 192.168.0.199/24 broadcast 192.168.0.199 dev enp1s0

    Temporarily (clears at boot) adds this address to current device.
    Allows connecting to different LAN. (so  192.168.4.22 and
    192.168.0.199.)

"enp1s0" is my ethernet port per ifconfig.  I am not certain of the
'24'; may need a smaller number -- I sort of know what it's for but not
enough to start to explain.  *.*.4.* is the original network here;
*.*.0.* the alternate.

(And I thought I was bowing out of this thread! <g>)

Barry-