[mythtv-users] convoluted questiom

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 15:04:19 UTC 2021

Hi James!

> First thanks to you and to Barry, it very refreshing to have someone take an interest in your question.

Thank you for the compliment, though I will pretty much bow out of the
thread (though monitor) as I don't have much more to offer other than a
few thoughts.  I don't think Motion on its own will meet your needs as
it doesn't have much in the way of command-line control.  Can be started
and stopped (sudo service motion start | stop ) but the stop option also
takes the cameras out (or at least here) -- not good for the divemaster
and customer.  I do vaguely recall reading Motion could be started and
stopped with cron -- In my quick search essentially the same as the
command line.

I have not played with ZoneMaster.

I'm wondering if revising thinking "command line" to "remote control"
would yield better results?  The pushing of a button on a remote control
(LIRC) is essentially a command line.  You could still use a command
line (^R = record, ^S = stop recording ==> MythTV Edit Keys) but may be
easier to push the green button and red button respectively on a
remote.  Fast Froward, rewind, pause, etc., can also be suported  A
Hauppauge remote seems to be best supported, though can be done with any
remote.

Barry