[mythtv-users] Help with playback issue on recordings from a single channel

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 21:16:11 UTC 2021

On Sat, Dec 25, 2021 at 4:54 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> For the macroblocking, it could be the infamous, Nvidia bug that has
> plagued their MPEG2 decoders for the last 10+ years.

Always possible, but most of the OTA stations that
were initially reported to manifest that bug were NBC
affiliated stations (especially the O&O's) such that I
presume many purchased the same encoder based
upon some corporate recommendation(*) (maybe bulk
purchase?)  Since most CBS stations also broadcast
in 1080i, perhaps some of them have gotten a good
deal on a shiny new encoder too (I think PBS stations
also typically use 1080i, but I have not checked).  As
with all such generalities, there are exceptions to
formats and impacts.

(*) It may have also coincided with most of (at least)
the O&O's needing to squeeze in more NBC, Cozi,
LX, and Telemundo subchannels at higher quality,
so they might have wanted a more capable encoder
that pushed the standard(s) to the limits (and beyond
the nvidia implementation).