[mythtv-users] Easiest way to edit channels

Simon linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Dec 18 15:11:48 UTC 2021

Kevin Johnson <iitywygms at gmail.com> wrote:

> Once I get the database trimmed, what is the best way to have the channels I have removed from the database not show in the guide?
> Is there an option using mythfilldatabase?  Or do I now need to delete the unused channels using mythweb or channel editor on the backend?

Ah, now there’s another can of worms !
AIUI, depending on which grabber you use, and how it’s set up, the grabber may simply re-insert channels that are missing. I get my channels from a scan (using DVB-T, a.k.a. Freeview in the UK) and only use the grabber to get the listings.

If you look at the script I pointed you to, it sets all unwanted channels to invisible so they don’t appear in the listings guide, and can’t be selected to watch live. For practical purposes, they don’t exist as far as the user is concerned.

I recall there being a similar thread not one ago ... ah, there it is : https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/users/636693
There’s some more information that might help you.

> You and everyone on this list that take the time to help those of us who are not masters at linux are very much appreciated.

You’re welcome. We were all newbies once - and still are when we choose to dive into a different area/topic/package/whatever. I consider it “pay forward” for all the help others have given me over the years.

Simon