[mythtv-users] Easiest way to edit channels

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Dec 17 22:53:38 UTC 2021

On 17/12/2021 20:24, Kevin Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 8:18 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 12/16/21 8:21 PM, Kevin Johnson wrote:
>>
>> So I was able to figure out chedit2.pl and have been successfully editing
>> the database.
>> Once I get the database trimmed, what is the best way to have the channels
>> I have removed from the database not show in the guide?
>> Is there an option using mythfilldatabase?  Or do I now need to delete the
>> unused channels using mythweb or channel editor on the backend?
>>
>> Thanks for all the help
>>
>> Personally, I just leave them there. After a couple of weeks the ones that
>> are no longer selected in mythfilldatabase will show "No Data" in the guide.
>>
>> Otherwise, the easiest way to edit channels is using mythweb. Got to
>> settings, TV, channel info. You can uncheck "visible" to make the channels
>> not show in the guide. You can also delete them from mythweb if you prefer.
>> It is very easy since it is a grid and you can quickly select or unselect a
>> bunch of them and apply the updates.
>>
> Using mythweb I get the following error.
> Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000. To increase the limit
> change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on line 0
>
> I am not able to change anything.
> I added this to my php.ini  *php_value max_input_vars 10000*
> restarted apache but still no go.
> Suggestions?
>
> Setting up channels used to be much easier.

Typo alert! The variable is 'max_input_vars' not 'php_max_input_vars'.

10000 may not be enough. Count the number of channels in your list, multiply by the number of fields
across the table for each row and add a few. I think mine ended up at 50000.

The other reply is useful, too. PHP takes each .ini file and reads it in succession; any value to
which a variable is set overrides any previous value. You need to follow the chain and find the last
file.

--

Mike Perkins