[mythtv-users] Easiest way to edit channels

Kevin Johnson iitywygms at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 01:21:39 UTC 2021

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 1:42 PM Simon <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> Kevin Johnson <iitywygms at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thank you for the suggestion.  Do I need to do this for each and every
> channel?
> > That would be kind of time consuming doing it for 900 channels.  Maybe I
> am not understanding?
>
> Yes, it is time consuming - but whatever method you use will be time
> consuming with 900 channels.
> But, by scripting it, you put in a bit more effort up front and save time
> later. I use a script which is a little developed from
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_editing_script The script as shown
> there adds 10,000 to the channel number if it’s not 7nn (radio channels on
> our UK Freeview) to move everything out of the way. Then it makes all but
> radio channels non-visible.
> Then for each “useful*” channel it sets it back to visible, gives it a
> sensible channel number, and sets the xmltv identifier for listings.
>
> Yes, it’s a complete pita to set up the first time, then just a minor pita
> to maintain each time Freeview changes stuff.
>
> But whenever I need to re-scan, I can just “delete all channels, scan, run
> the script and see all my channels reset as they were”. Then it’s a case of
> looking to see what channels are still at 10,000 upwards and not visible
> (they still chow in the channel editor in MythWeb) and edit the script to
> catch those I want.
>
> * For whatever value of “useful” you apply - pesonally I don’t want to see
> shopping channels etc. I’m guessing that you’ll have a lot of encrypted
> channels you can detect in a scan but which aren’t usable.
>

> > Command line editing a database is just not something I am familiar with.
>
> Yeah, it’s not the easiest thing in the world to learn.
>
> Simon

So I was able to figure out chedit2.pl and have been successfully editing
the database.
Once I get the database trimmed, what is the best way to have the channels
I have removed from the database not show in the guide?
Is there an option using mythfilldatabase?  Or do I now need to delete the
unused channels using mythweb or channel editor on the backend?

Thanks for all the help