[mythtv-users] Motherboard / case suggestions for early 2022 backend

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 15:21:53 UTC 2021

Martin:

> All of the cases that met my drive space requirement have the
> power supply at the base (to accommodate a CPU radiator on top), where
> it sucks in air from the underside of the case (at least there is a
> filter).? So no sitting it directly on the carpet.

Yes, sort of the good news/bad news thing with the PSU's at the base.
Good news: the heavier PSU is at the bottom whereas when mounted at the
top the case could be top-heavy.  (Kitty! Get off! <timberrrrrr!>)  Bad
news: heat rises, so the heat from the PSU heats up the motherboard and
daughtercards.  (Install those essentially-quite case fans.)  I was also
told to keep computers off the floor as they'll suck in dust easier.

What I have done here is some computers are sitting on a
semi-custom-made table: pre-finished shelving with the cut side to the
wall, furniture legs.  The computer sits on top, the UPS underneath
between the legs.  The UPS sits on a scrap piece of wood painted black
(to match the colour of the UPS).  The wood makes it a lot easier to
slide the UPS out when replacing batteries, plus I don't like
heat-creating stuff directly on carpet.

Barry