[mythtv-users] Easiest way to edit channels

Kevin Johnson iitywygms at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 21:28:52 UTC 2021

Hi All.

Running Ubuntu 20.01 and Mythtv 31
I have cable using a hdhr prime.  I only get the basic channels.
Setting up the guide.xmltv is not for the faint of heart.  But I got it.
Only thing is I am setup to get all the channels.  900 or more.
Going through and selecting each one individually is obviously time
consuming.
So my guide is filled with data not useful to me.
I have come across some suggestions such as using a python script, chedit.pl
and other ways.
But to be honest I am not savvy enough to use the found methods effectively.
Can I use the channel-editor in mythtv WebFrontend?  I can do it while
watching tv from my couch which would be nice.  But when I tried that it
did not seem to update the channels as expected.  I deleted the channels
but they still are seen in the guide data on the frontends.  Do I need to
run mythfilldatabase afterwards?  Maybe wait a few hours?

Or should I do it directly on the backend using channel editor?  Does soing
so actually edit the xmltv file?  My backend is in the basement and I would
prefer to be able to do this from the comfort of my couch.

Or?

Thank you.