[mythtv-users] Motherboard / case suggestions for early 2022 backend

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 17:00:19 UTC 2021

On Sat, Dec 11, 2021, 10:02 AM Stephen Worthington, <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Dec 2021 07:59:12 -0600, you wrote:
>

> >Ian:

> <snip>
> When I got my new AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, the cooler that came with
> that (a Wraith Prism) was fine for the job.  I believe it is a
> rebadged Cooler Master product.  It even has RGB lighting.
>
> A CPU at Ryzen 7 level is overkill for MythTV.  I put an AMD Ryzen 3
> 3100 into my mother's MythTV box when it was upgraded, and that is way
> more than enough, when coupled with 16 Gibytes of RAM and a fast PCIe
> v3 NVMe SSD.  The cooler that came with that is fine as well, but
> nothing fancy like the Wraith Prism.  I was really impressed with just
> how fast the Ryzen 3 3100 is.  But when I got my Ryzen 7 3700X, it
> turns out that it is literally "blink and you miss it" fast - if you
> blink while the screen is updating, you can miss that anything has
> changed because it has all happened before your eyes open again.
>
> For a new MythTV box these days, a Ryzen 3 is fine.  I would put more
> money into getting a better NVMe SSD than into a faster CPU.  And 8
> Gibytes of RAM is getting to be necessary if your database is growing.
> MythTV does a lot of things by putting big lists in RAM, such as the
> list of all your recordings or all your videos.  My database is
> massive (> 50,000 recordings), so with only 8 Gibytes of RAM in my
> main MythTV box (AMD FX-4100, Asus M5A97 Evo motherboard), it does
> swap unused parts of mythfrontend out to disk.  But that is not
> impacting performance (yet).  The old motherboard with only 4 Gibytes
> of RAM that it replaced was really struggling, with the then much
> smaller database.

Great input from everyone. I appreciate it.

Stephen,

Good to hear a Ryzen 3 will suffice. Memory seems to be the area I should
look at. The old system was running both MythTV and a one camera Zoneminder
(don't need more, it's an apartment). I might want to run the occasional
Windows session in a VM. I'm a film reviewer and some of the studios'
secure screening platforms are Windows only. I use HDHomerun's for my
tuners.

Guess I need to check out cases next. Don't need any clear sides as where
it'll be placed I don't need to see any RGB. :-)

On a side note, continued thanks to the list. Everyone is so helpful with
their ideas and generous with their time.