[mythtv-users] Thoughts on these recertified HGST drives ?

Simon linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 18:55:20 UTC 2021

Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> I had been running two 3 Tbyte HGST drives (HDS723030ALA640) 24/7 in
> my MythTV box up until earlier this year.  I only retired them due to
> needing more space (they were replaced by a 16 Tbyte and an 18 Tbyte
> drive).  One of them is currently waiting on a new use, but the other
> went into my mother's MythTV box and has been running 24/7 there.  It
> is currently showing 88570 hours of power on time (10.1 years), and is
> running fine with no sign of any problems.  The photo in that ad is
> very similar to my 3 Tbyte drives, so it is likely using similar
> technology.  So if they have had 6 years in service, then they should
> be good for quite a few more.  My drives had a 5 year warranty when I
> bought them.

Fits in with my experience.

> Is it possible to get the SMART data of those drives before you buy?
> To see if there are any values that are going bad, and what the actual
> power on hours are?

Not a chance, this is a largish mail-order seller (part of the Farnell empire these days). For a query like this, capability basically extends to you ordering, then a guy goes and picks a box off the shelf.

> Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Amazon in the USA has new 4TB drives for $60 = £45 and they have not been running for 6 years. So three would be £135, a bit cheaper than £178 for your two second hand 6TB drives, and they are brand new.

But also only 4TB. I only have two bays available at the moment, so would be swapping out the existing 3 & 4 TB drives for 6TB. 4TB can be had for a fair bit less over here as well. Ideally I’d go bigger, but the jump in price/TB isn’t really justifiable at the moment.

> Maybe prices are higher in the UK?

They tend to be. But also, I assume those prices are without sales tax ? Over here, VAT (our version of sales tax) is 20%.

Simon