[mythtv-users] No audio after upgrading video card

Simon linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 16:15:59 UTC 2021

DryHeat122 <dryheat122 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not clear to me why there is one sound setup for the main system and another for apps like MythTV.

Well there’s a sound system in Linux, which can default to routing sound from various programs, through it’s mixer, and out to a default device you’ve set. So if every program sends sound to ALSA then they’ll work with whatever you set in ALSA for your output.

Or, you have the option of more fine grained control by configuring a specific program to do it’s own thing - e.g. have Myth simply squirt sound out via the HDMI port. This gives you more control if you want it.

> Also what are all those other devices listed on frontend audio setup besides ALSA:default?

As already said - these days there tends to be multiple audio input and output devices. These will be all the ones Myth has detected.

Simon