[mythtv-users] local-network-pingable.service

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 11:29:03 UTC 2021

I'm trying to clean up any race conditions that may exist in my
production backend since I have both HDHomeRun network tuners and PCIe
cards.

Stephen came up with a very useful guide to adding a
local-network-pingable.service that makes sure your HDHR network tuners
are online before mythbackend is started.
(https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/users/625986#625986)

I'm examining it to try to understand it better which points to my lack
of understanding of systemd. I'm trying to understand why in the
following service file the command is in the "ExecStartPre" instead of
"ExecStart":

local-network-pingable.service

[Unit]
Description=Wait for the local network to be pingable
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStartPre=/bin/bash -c "/usr/local/bin/wait-until-pingable.py
192.168.0.180 60"
ExecStart=/bin/true

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target