[mythtv-users] ATSC tuner advice wanted

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 17:10:22 UTC 2021

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 3:04 PM Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com> wrote:
> I live far enough away from the broadcast towers
> that signal strength is likely to be weak on at least
> some stations

None of the consumer based tuners tend to have
great RF tuner/demods (at least compared to
your average TV, which tend to have much better
RF devices).  If you are at the edge of reception,
you will first need to focus on choosing the
proper antenna(s), preamp(s), and distribution
amp(s) so that your tuners can receive a good
signal.  Note that too much of a good thing (RF)
can also be a problem (and if in the same line
one transmitter is a few miles away, and the
next is 70 miles away, you may need channel
specific adjustments).  This can get very
complicated depending on your environment
and what frequencies the channels you want
to receive are using.

Along with asking any neigboors that are
using an antenna, one may wish to spend
some time on the forums at tvfool.com and
avsforum.com to find others that live in your
area that can tell you what works best for
them (of course, they are not you, and if
you have a tree in your yard that is perfectly
aligned with where you need to point the
antenna, your only solution may be to pull
out your Stihl).