[mythtv-users] ATSC tuner advice wanted

Jay Harbeston jharbestonus at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 15:52:07 UTC 2021

> On Aug 21, 2021, at 11:00 AM, Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Long story short: Because of recent changes made by Cox, I'm planning to
> cut my cable TV service and switch to a combination of streaming and OTA
> recording. For the latter, I need an ATSC recording solution, but I'm
> afraid I'm having difficulty navigating the sea of options, given
> outdated Web pages, contradictory online information, confusing model
> references, etc.
I use 2 HDHR4-US tuners, each with 2 tuners. Mythtv likes these tuners, and does multi record on them just fine. After  I add the initial tuner for each of the tuners(total 4) for the HDHR4s, I go back and an additional 4 multi rec virtual tuners.

The current HDHR tuners are HDHR5 2 tuner, HDHR5 4 tuner, and an HDHR5 with 2ATSC2.0 and 2 ATSC3.0 tuners.

In my area, ATSC3 is not available, and probably won’t be for several years. If I were starting new, I would get one of the 4 tuner HDHR5s and be done with it.  :-)

I cut the cable in 2010, and have used HDHR3 as well as the current HDHR4 which is now serving me well.

Regards!