[mythtv-users] Kodi and MythTV, can't watch LiveTV

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 00:17:14 UTC 2021

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 at 02:02, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jean-Yves
>
> You can always try setting a recording on the program you want to watch,
> then go and watch it while still recording.

The UI of Kodi is super nice and very intuitive, playback is also
super smooth which is what I liked about it (I have a FireTV 4K stick
that I was given by my work a couple years back to debug some code)

> There are other (better?) options for the fire stuck 4K: leanfront and
> mythfrontend for android

Yes, I now realised that.

Leanfront UI is pretty poor I found, getting to the Live TV channels
takes lots of keypresses and playback take over 15s to start.

Mythfrontend was a nice surprise, it looks exactly like what I'm used to.

Weirdly enough, I've had better playback performance using the pure
software decoder and OGL as rendering. I had to set Audio sync at
-500ms however which is problematic (and it varies between channels)

When I enable MediaCodec with rendering, the video tears it looks like
there's no v-sync applied.
With MediaCodec decoding only playback doesn't start at all.

The MythTV wiki gives settings to apply that I can't find anywhere such as :
"Enable new timestamp based playback speed (AVSync2)"
"Advanced Playback Settings -> Allow YV12 "
"Advanced Playback Settings -> Extra stage "
I use MythTV 31, the doc seems to have been written for 30, I'm
guessing those options were integrated by default and removed.