[mythtv-users] problems with latest updates dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database

George Bingham georgeb1962 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 22:46:47 UTC 2021

Hi all,

Was running updates today as my non-mythtv regular username, with sudo
access of course, and when it was updating the database it gave me the
following error:

Failed to connect to database (incorrect admin password)
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: NO)

I was using the command-line this time as previous updates have broken my
video driver (I guess) and so can't run KDE on this backend right now. So,
not sure if this happens when I use the graphical style daily update
methods, but it is generally run as my own user with sudo access too.

Anyway, have been having odd issues here and there, and wonder if I've been
missing out on database updates this whole time because root is not able to
connect?

What's the right way to solve this? I've been under the impression that you
shouldn't muck with databases as user root, so don't think I've ever set it
to have access to mythconverg, but also didn't know that the update
mechanism required it...

Thanks for any thoughts,

-- George