[mythtv-users] mythfrontend on ASRock NUC

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 09:11:11 UTC 2021

On 8/2/21 2:38 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 21:01:57 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to get mythfrontend  to work properly without a ton of
>> video tearing and shearing on my new ASRock NUC 1165G7. It's an 11th Gen
>> Core i7 mobile part,
>>
>> I've tried Linux Mint 20.2, Ubuntu 21.04, PopOS and all have video problems
>> and all use the Ubuntu kernel 5.11, and Xorg server.
>>
>> I was having no luck getting help with this new hardware.
>>
>> It turns out that Kodi has the same issue using the mythtv addon. I was
>> thinking it had to be related to older kernels or mesa drivers. I'm out of
>> my element here.
>>
>> Today I installed Archlinux/XFCE4 with kernel 5.13.7 and mythfrontend
>> v31.0-162 and everything is working fine as you'd expect for this much
>> hardware performance.  I'm using OpenGL High Quality with 4 CPUs in all
>> this testing. Vaapi was a non-starter.
>>
>> I don't know what made this work. Was it the newer kernel, newer Xserver,
>> etc.
>> Archlinux is a lot of work to install and keep working so I'd like to move
>> back to *buntu based frontend, but not sure when this will work.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> JIm A
> Using OpenGL should work on any distro with a modern enough CPU.
> Getting VAAPI working might require a late enough kernel to have the
> latest Intel video drivers suitable for the NUC.

Recent testing on the ASRock NUC shows that if I can get a new enough
kernel to have the Intel video drivers that allow OpenGL to work, then
VAAPI works, but I mostly stay with OpenGL, even on my Ryzen 5 3600
system with an Nvidia GT 1030 GFX card.

I have moved my PCs around and now my wife has the Ryzen because the
GT1030 card works flawlessly for 2 headed "joined" displays with with
multiple user accounts and proper suspend when inactive. So I'm stuck
with the ASRock NUC in the family room with the big UHD TV. 4K behavior
with Linux is a whole other can of worms.

Jim A

Jim A