[mythtv-users] mythfrontend on ASRock NUC

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 01:01:57 UTC 2021

I've been trying to get mythfrontend  to work properly without a ton of
video tearing and shearing on my new ASRock NUC 1165G7. It's an 11th Gen
Core i7 mobile part,

I've tried Linux Mint 20.2, Ubuntu 21.04, PopOS and all have video problems
and all use the Ubuntu kernel 5.11, and Xorg server.

I was having no luck getting help with this new hardware.

It turns out that Kodi has the same issue using the mythtv addon. I was
thinking it had to be related to older kernels or mesa drivers. I'm out of
my element here.

Today I installed Archlinux/XFCE4 with kernel 5.13.7 and mythfrontend
v31.0-162 and everything is working fine as you'd expect for this much
hardware performance.  I'm using OpenGL High Quality with 4 CPUs in all
this testing. Vaapi was a non-starter.

I don't know what made this work. Was it the newer kernel, newer Xserver,
etc.
Archlinux is a lot of work to install and keep working so I'd like to move
back to *buntu based frontend, but not sure when this will work.

Any ideas?

JIm A