[mythtv-users] Can't seem to delete channels

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Aug 1 06:44:25 UTC 2021

Also, if you want to keep the downloaded EPG .xml file, and can not
find an option to do that, you can do what I do, which is to disable
the automatic running of mythfilldatabase from mythbackend, and run it
from a cron job.  Instead of getting mythfilldatabase to run
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite, you do that manually in your cron job, and
store away the .xml file when it finishes.  Then you run:

mythfilldatabase --sourcedid <sourceid> --file --xmlfile <path to .xml
file>

After mythfilldatabase completes, you can then do any channel fixups
if necessary.  I run some SQL that fixes some of the nastier mistakes
we get here in our EPG data, like misspelt programme names.

You can parse the channel section of the .xml file with various tools
to extract the channels - I would tend to use Python for that, as it
can also easily access the database and compare the channel data.