[mythtv-users] Can't seem to delete channels

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Sun Aug 1 03:38:47 UTC 2021

I think you're basically correct.  Having now looked at this more
carefully, it appears two things are true:

(a) Deselecting a channel in the sqlite DB -does- in fact stop it being
downloaded by tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite---those channels are now showing
"NO DATA" out past a certain horizon in the mythweb listings page,
whereas others are showing data, and looking at the raw XML data
downloaded (snatched from /tmp during a grabber run) shows that the ones
I deselected are missing from the <channel> ... </channel> block at the
beginning but were present in the one I saved from my very first run. [1]

However, deselection may actually be a bad idea---the "CHANNEL SELECTION"
section of the tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite manpage seems to be one large
caveat about how confusion between "channel" and "station" might cause
the wrong thing to happen if the provider starts rearranging things.

So maybe I'll leave everything selected and just set channels invisible
on the mysql side, though that involves downloading about twice as much
data and twice as much mfdb work to do for a bunch of channels which are
marked invisible and hence will never be scheduled.

(b) There's no communications channel from the grabber to myth to tell
myth that a channel has been deselected.  However, setting it invisible
(not, as I started out in my Subject: line, trying to delete it, as the
Channel Editor [2] does) does in fact do the right thing, and that's how
I did it in my ancient installation---invisibility dropped it from both
scheduling and display.  So I'll probably just do that via direct DB
manipulation or perhaps an API call---I did before & after mysql DB
dumps after setting a channel invisible, and it clearly only modified
its visibility in the channel table.  (We're talking hundreds of
channels here, so there's no way I'm going to be doing this by hand.)

[1] I wish there was some easy way to tell tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite to
preserve the original file.  I suspect I could use one of the debugging
flags to download it a second time into a file and leave the file alone,
but that's pretty inefficient, and racy too.  Or I can make something
that watches for the file to appear in /tmp and copies it once it hasn't
changed for a little while and/or ends in "</tv>", since it doesn't get
deleted for many minutes while mfdb runs. :)  If there's a straightforward
way to do this, I can't find it in the manpage.

[2] It is super-confusing that there are -three- "channel editors"---
the wiki mentions a perl script, the frontend, and mythtv-setup.
The one I've been talking about is the latter.