[mythtv-users] Mythzmserver DB problems. Was: doesn't start:...

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Wed Apr 28 23:15:49 UTC 2021

On 28/04/2021 03:58, A. F. Cano wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 12:00:38AM +0100, Paul Harrison wrote:
>>
>> Ah! I forgot you are running MythTV 30.0 which is missing some fixes. It's
>> difficult to keep track of all the changes in MythTV and Zoneminder and what
>> is compatible with what at least that's my excuse :)
>>
>> Only current master looks in /etc/zm/conf.d/01-system-paths.conf for the
>> ZM_PATH_MAP setting. Older versions only look in /etc/zm.conf or the
>> location you tell it to load the config from when you pass a -c command line
>> parameter to mythzmserver.
>>

>> You will have to either copy the ZM_PATH_MAP setting to /etc/zm/zm.conf or
>> you could create a custom copy of /etc/zm/zm.conf specifically for
>> mythzmserver to use and add the ZM_PATH_MAP setting then tell mythzmserver
>> to use your custom zm.conf file using the -c parameter.
> Ok, added:
>
> ZM_PATH_MAP=/dev/shm
> ZM_VERSION=1.32.3
>
> to the end of /etc/zm/zm.conf but I still get this non-stop when in
> "Show Live View":
>
> 2021-04-27 21:58:43.779205 E  The server failed to process the command. The error was:-
>                          ERROR - Cannot get shared memory pointers
>
> and I get the test pattern on the frontend.
>
> Of interest regarding shared memory, mythzmserver gives this:
>
> getZMSetting: ZM_SHM_KEY Result: 0x7a6d0000
> Shared memory key is: 0x7a6d0000
> Failed to get mysql row
> getZMSetting: ZM_PATH_MAP Result:
> Memory path directory is:
>
> It is strange that it finds a ZM_SHM_KEY but then the "ZM_PATH_MAP
> Result:" is empty, and the "Memory path directory is:" is also empty.
>
> And then:
>
> Failed to open mmap file [/zm.mmap.2] for monitor: 2 : No such file or directory
> Falling back to the legacy shared memory method
> Failed to shmget for monitor: 2
> ENOENT - no segment exists for the given key
>
> So it looks like even though it has a shared memory key and the
> ZM_PATH_MAP=/dev/shm parameter is in /etc/zm/zm.conf it is still not
> finding the file and reverting to "the legacy shared memory method".
> It certainly looks like mythzmserver is ignoring the ZM_PATH_MAP
> variable.  Is it using the "legacy ahared memory method" and that is
> what is causing the memory pointer errors?

Yes for some reason it's not finding the ZM_PATH_MAP setting in the
config file and falling back to reading the setting from the DB which
also fails because that setting is no longer in the database.

I'd rather not mess with the ZM database but Plan B might be to
temporarily add the setting to the Config table I think it is so at
least when it fails to find it in the config file it can fall back to
the setting from the DB. Plan C would be to just default to using
'/dev/shm' if all else fails which is a good default for Ubuntu and
debian at least.

Let me do some more digging and I will get back to you when I'm less tired.

Paul H.